View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 10:19 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 3889 / Power: 15
ilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My good friend's marriage

Celeste laughed and shook her hands and head at Ella, trying to proclaim her innocence but Ella waved her off.

Don chuckled a little and I saw Ella shot me a dagger stare at my lame comment before Don dragged me out to help with the bags.

While waiting for us, Don and Ella had actually checked out the other room, bringing whatever is in the spare room over by the entrance to the suite.

Don gave me a cheeky look and asked me what was I up to with Celeste but I just smile and told him it was an accident.

I could overhear snippets of conversation from Ella and Celeste as we shifted the bags and clothes.

Words like, James… thick skin…. Very naughty…. Cheeky… be careful of him and so on caught my ear but I was not paying attention to the warnings that Ella was doling out, I could only hear the girlish giggle and the sugar sweet voice of Celeste replying.

4pm

The drama was over and it was clear Don and Ella needed their time alone. Celeste and I left the suite together.

From the walk to the train station, I found out that Celeste stays in punggol, so we will be taking the same train line. Naturally I offered to send her back but she declined.

Celeste : Ermm.. it’s ok la…thanks for asking.

I wasn’t expecting Celeste to say yes to my offer honestly, we don’t really know each other for long anyway.

We chatted on the train and I got off at Buangkok.

I watched Celeste wave me a sweet goodbye before uncoiling her headphones from her bag.

My Sunday ended with the company of the washing machine and the dryer. My companion in the room is the ironing board.

29th March 2010.

Monday.

Life goes back to normal for Don and Ella as the showed up for work like everyone else. Their honeymoon is not in another 3 months time.

On that day however, I felt that fate seemed bent on testing Don and Ella’s relationship. You see, part of Ella’s job was to brief the new comers together with another HR girl.

That Monday morning, we were told that a new department would be formed in the finance team with a new manager.

His name is Walter.

The entire morning, I saw Ella tagging along with this new guy, going from department to department, desk to desk before disappearing into his office for about 30 minutes at a stretch.

She looked stressed and upset at the same time.

I found out form Don that she had text him, saying that Walter would be her new boss from that day.

1pm

Lunch was catered that afternoon as sort of a welcome.

I settled at a corner with my food as I secretly observed Walter.

He looks to be in his late 40s, tall and definitely worked out regularly. He’s got that boyish charm despite his age and he certainly knew how to use them. What caught my eye though was the frequent looks he threw at Ella.

It was a quick glance, a fast peep but to the observant eye, you just know.

Ella’s short dress and high heels that day proved to be a magnet to Walter’s roving eyes. I noticed he was getting a little touchy too, when Ella spoke something, he would pretend he could not catch it and lowered his body closer to her before placing his palms at her waist for that couple of second.

It was smooth and fast, something that Ella might not even have noticed.

3.30pm

A meeting of mine ended early and I was just getting off the cab when I saw Ella and Walter turn the corner of the office lobby, heading out.

I immediately paid and followed close behind.

From what I could gather from Ella’s body language, she was giving Walter a tour of the area.

Knn, it’s ang mo kio industrial park, why do you need a tour.

I kept my distance and observed further.

The pavements and roads in the area are not exactly like those in town. The uneven concrete slabs broken by the emerging roots of the trees. The occasional construction, the sudden scatter of debris, all this made walking on heels a challenge and Ella of all days had to wear a high one that Monday.

It was a pretty hot day too, and I could see Walter taking out a packet of napkin and handing it to Ella.

He even offered to take her used tissue as Ella was carrying a couple of folders when a bin was coming up on their right at a cross junction.

I saw him discreetly slipped Ella’s tissue into his pocket while he threw his own into the bin.

It was something I would have done too.

They turned around another bent which was a pretty long stretch that led to the canteen, at that point I stopped tailing them and headed back to office

4.30pm

I noticed Ella and Walter coming back into the office before disappearing into his room again.

I stole a look at Don who was obliviously to everything.

Perhaps it was just me.

6.30pm

I was on the phone for about 45 minutes, trying to tally some specifications with a supplier and I saw Don waving at me, saying that he’s making a move.

I gave him a thumbs up and noted the light that was still on in Walter’s office.

7.00pm

Ella emerged from the room and headed out but with only her purse. I wanted to follow her but my phone rang again and I was stuck for the next 15 minutes.

7.20pm

Ella appeared again, looking visibly tired with some packets of food.

7.45pm

There were only a handful of colleagues left when I saw Walter and Ella head to the pantry.

I took my cup and made my way there, I was about to turn into the pantry when I heard a loud exclamation from within and I paused.

Walter : Oh !.... you’re married ?? Congratulations…. But you look so young… haha.

He went on further, adding that he thought Ella was a fresh graduate, complimenting her complexion and supple skin.

I entered the pantry and we all exchanged looks and greetings. Their conversation immediately died down as I poured myself more coffee before heading out.

Before I was out of earshot, I could hear Walter commenting that Ella’s husband must be a lucky guy.

8.15pm

I was about to pack up and leave when I saw Walter and Ella coming out of his office. He insisted on giving Ella a lift for making her stay back late, that was all I could make out before they disappeared.

2nd April 2010

Friday

For every single day that week, Ella never left work on time. Don however was out of the office by 6.30pm

A quick check with him told me that Ella was busy with her new boss that entire week.

He wasn’t very happy when he saw Walter sending Ella back at 10pm the previous day.

Ella was too tired to talk to him and just wanted to sleep.