The Asian Commercial Sex Scene  

Go Back   The Asian Commercial Sex Scene > For stuff you can't discuss with your Facebook Account > Soccer, Horses, and MBS/RWS talk

Notices

Soccer, Horses, and MBS/RWS talk With the IRs up and running, what better place to exchange tips and techniques on how to tip the odds in your favour! [Please note that with the passing of the Remote Gambling Act, Internet gambling links and Adverts are no longer allowed in this section.]

Fastgoal Image
Fastgoal : Reliable Score Service

User Tag List

Old 16-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 172 / Power: 21
qbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samsterqbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samster
Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Battle of the giants

UNITED and Chelsea have set up a monster finale to the season.

And United's two giants, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo, are in the goalscoring mood to take on Jose Mourinho's men in a battle for football's three major honours.

The Treble-chasing Reds and Carling Cup winners Chelsea, who are still in the hunt for the quadruple, are on a collision course after setting up a dream FA Cup final at the new Wembley on May 19.

The Reds' booked their place with a 4-1 victory over Watford at Villa Park and they were yesterday joined by Chelsea, but only after an extra-time winner saw them overcome Blackburn 2-1 at Old Trafford.

By the time the two clubs clash at Wembley, one will have been crowned the Premiership champions.

United have the chance to open up a six-point lead over Chelsea when they take on strugglers Sheffield United at Old Trafford tomorrow night.

A win would put the pressure back on Mourinho's men, who travel to face West Ham on Wednesday.

But the race for the title is still heading for an almighty D-Day at Stamford Bridge on May 9 when United visit Chelsea.

And the pair could set-up an unprecedented third battle if United overcome AC Milan in the Champions League semi-final and Chelsea win the all-English clash with Liverpool.

Showdown

The Athens showdown on May 23 would be a sensational finale.

And despite what is set to be an exhausting finish to a marathon campaign, Rooney has pleaded with Sir Alex Ferguson not to rest him as he looks to add to his goal tally this season, which was boosted by his semi-final double against Watford.

"I hope I don't get a rest. I love to play. Every four days or three days is fine. That is what you come to a big club for," said the 21-year-old, whose last trip to Wembley for an FA Cup final was as a nine-year-old to cheer Everton to victory over United in 1995.

"I am doing well at the minute and scoring a few goals and I feel fit and strong.

"I don't think we have played better than this in my time at United.

“We are playing some brilliant attacking football and opening teams up and I am delighted to be a part of that.

“I always try to match or do better than my previous goal tally and to be equal now on 19 goals like last year with games left to go is very pleasing. Hopefully I can get more.”

Despite having just signed a new contract worth around £31mm United’s leading scorer Ronaldo has made sure got the £400 off his boss for winning his goal-scoring bet.

Fergie wagered he wouldn’t get 15 but the Portuguese winger passed that in February at Tottenham and now he is on 21 goals for the campaign.

“The manager has paid,” said Ronaldo who netted again at Villa Park.“It was only a joke really - £400. I don’t need the money but I made sure I got it.

“21 goals is amazing for me. It is going well for me and I want to keep going like that. I have worked hard this season not only on my football but psychologically as well and it has helped me.

“When the team win it is easy for us as strikers and wingers. I want to keep going and play like that. I am good and feel well and want to carry on.

Opportunity

“You work to win trophies and now we have a great opportunity. When people speak about me it is nice but my first priority is trophies for the club.”

Mourinho, meanwhile, can’t wait for the showdown with the Reds. The Chelsea boss embraced owner Roman Abramovich after yesterday’s win over Blackburn which came courtesy of a Michael Ballack winner in extra time after Jason Roberts had cancelled out Frank Lampard’s opener.

After exchanging text messages with Sir Alex Ferguson in the aftermath of their side’s respective Champions League wins on Tuesday, the high-class managerial duo will be meeting on a regular basis next month.

With a Premiership clash at Stamford Bridge on May 9, an FA Cup Final 10 days later and a possible Champions League showdown in Athens following straight on from that, England’s top two are set to grind each other to a standstill.

“I wouldn’t be sad if we had to play them (United) three times in a fortnight,” said Mourinho, who exchanged friendly text messages with Fergie after both progressed in the Champions League on Tuesday.

“The way we have both played this season is absolutely unbelievable. We are both still fighting for the three major trophies, which is amazing.

“What we have to try and do is make sure our league game against them at Stamford Bridge is a final. We have to keep this run going and make sure we go into that game with a chance to be champions.”
Old 16-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Samster

Credit to Hughes but Wembley needs top two

There are those, like the Watford manager, Aidy Boothroyd, who did not want an FA Cup final between Chelsea and Manchester United because the English game is becoming too much like Scotland's Old Firm.

I can see their argument, but those people are viewing their football from another planet. This is the final that will open the new Wembley, the stadium that has taken up so much of the FA's time and money. Chelsea versus Manchester United is a game that will sell around the world in a way that, however brave Mark Hughes' team were at Old Trafford yesterday, Blackburn versus Manchester United would not have done. Wembley is a fabulous venue and this has the makings of an absolutely compelling final. Why would you not want to see the two best teams in the country facing each other in the finest surroundings?

Chelsea have changed the face of English football forever by raising the standards of the Premiership by several degrees. In the 1980s and 1990s you could win the championship or go close with a side who were simply above average. That, because of Chelsea, is now impossible.

They have driven the Premiership towards excellence and they are the reason why there are three English teams in the semi-finals of the European Cup because you need to be exceptional to beat them. Blackburn were nearly exceptional yesterday but it was not quite enough. Once Andrei Shevchenko missed a virtual open goal, Blackburn recovered some impetus and clambered their way back into the game. But even if they had won, I cannot imagine Alan Curbishley could have taken any comfort from it. When Chelsea go to Upton Park on Wednesday night, they will play against West Ham in exactly the same way they played Blackburn yesterday. There will be no reaction - just as there was no reaction in their play from another late, draining 2-1 win at Valencia last Wednesday night - and it is this I find truly fascinating about them.

Chelsea don't pass like Arsenal, or counter-attack like Manchester United, but when it comes to winning they have ice flowing through their veins. There's no team less affected by the circumstances surrounding them and no team better at getting the job done.

This was the third time Mark Hughes has taken Blackburn into a semi-final and it was the first time his players had done themselves justice. The job Hughes has done at Blackburn, a team who were bottom of the Premiership when he came to Ewood Park in September 2004, is unbelievably good given the players he inherited.

He has forged a team who should not get relegated again. In the days when English football is dominated by the big four, to have taken a mid-table side like Blackburn into three successive semi-finals is a considerable achievement. When Blackburn review their season, they ought to conclude they will be fortunate to hang on to Mark Hughes.

The next time any major job in the Premiership comes up - and that would include at his two former clubs, Chelsea and Manchester United - Hughes has to be a leading contender. His team did everything at Old Trafford except win.

Chelsea and Manchester United meeting in the final is, however, what the competition needs. Both these sides have had their strength in depth stretched to the limit - Chelsea with the loss of John Terry and Petr Cech midway through the season, United with the spate of injuries that has torn through their defence.

The back four that finished the game against Watford on Saturday was unrecognisable from the one Sir Alex Ferguson would have hoped to play, with Rio Ferdinand the latest casualty.

Manchester United must hope to get Ferdinand back quickly because he is simply the best defender at the club and his loss for any length of time will be felt far more keenly than that of Nemanja Vidic, a man who became a great defender by playing alongside Ferdinand.

As it is, Manchester United will climax the season with two - possibly three - titanic contests against Chelsea with a very stretched squad. But, although they may do it very differently, they, like Chelsea, understand football's most important lesson; how to win.
Old 16-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Samster

Roeder rubbishes Owen move talk

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder has rubbished rumours linking Michael Owen with a move to Manchester United.

Newspaper reports on Sunday suggested Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson was ready to trigger a £12million release clause in the 27-year-old's contract by tabling a bid in the close season.

Owen has been out of action since injuring his knee at the World Cup last summer, but Ferguson is still reported to be considering a move for him.

A source at Old Trafford was quoted as saying: "It's no secret that Sir Alex wants another striker and he is bound to be attracted by someone of Owen's pedigree at such a competitive price.

"Naturally we would have to be certain he has recovered from his injury and that is why his return will be closely monitored."

But Roeder told The Guardian: "It's all news to me.

"But I certainly haven't waited all these months to write Michael Owen's name on my team-sheet to even contemplate selling him.

"Michael is a very big part of my plans for next season and I know he's been as frustrated as everyone else and can't wait to start playing for Newcastle again.

"Personally, I can't wait to see him scoring goals for us that no-one else can."
Old 17-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 671 / Power: 22
dom01 is a splendid one to beholddom01 is a splendid one to beholddom01 is a splendid one to beholddom01 is a splendid one to beholddom01 is a splendid one to beholddom01 is a splendid one to behold

He is back.. Sell saha, n use smith as starting 11.... Dun u guys agree?
Old 17-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Samster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom01 View Post
He is back.. Sell saha, n use smith as starting 11.... Dun u guys agree?
Smudger's committment is bloody admirable! Always giving his best when he's on the pitch.

Shame that he hasn't play more for us becoz of that horrible injury at Liverpool. The disgraceful thing was the their fans attacking Smiths' ambulance when it was leaving for hospital.

And they call Man Utd fans scums...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/4742360.stm

Thank God...Smith is back.
Old 17-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Samster

Man Utd must pip Chelsea - Waddle
By Simon Austin

Chris Waddle, former England winger Chris Waddle hopes Manchester United beat Chelsea to the major trophies this season "for the good of football".

The teams meet in the Premiership and FA Cup final next month and could also contest the Champions League final.

"For the good of football you need entertainers to succeed," Waddle, who won 62 England caps, told BBC Sport.

"I think it would be better for the game if United won the trophies because of the way they've played this season."

Waddle added: "People obviously take notice if you're winning things. If Chelsea win three or four trophies, people will think that's the way to play.

"Chelsea are a no-risk team and I don't get out of my seat watching them.

"In contrast, watching United encourages young kids to dribble and to entertain. Our country is desperately short of this type of player."

Waddle also believes Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho cannot be classed as a "truly great manager" because of the football his side play.

"He doesn't like flair, he likes machines," said Waddle. "Fitness, strength and organisation are the key things for Mourinho.

"A lot of people will say this means he can't be classed a great manager, even though he has been tremendously successful and has achieved a great deal.

"Of course, he can turn round and put two fingers up and say 'I've won the trophies'.

"But it's a lot easier to stop teams entertaining than to play entertaining football.

CHELSEA v MAN UTD MAY SHOWDOWNS
9 May: Premiership (Stamford Bridge)
19 May: FA Cup final (Wembley)
23 May: Champions League final? (Olympic Stadium, Athens)

"This is why Manchester United's Alex Ferguson and Arsenal's Arsene Wenger are great, great managers. They've won trophies the hard way - by entertaining.

"Ferguson has always entertained, mainly by playing two wide men who can produce magic.

"Think of Lee Sharpe, Andrei Kanchelskis, Ryan Giggs and Cristiano Ronaldo - they're unpredictable players who the fans love to watch.

"Ferguson and Wenger have got the philosophy right and won trophies with entertaining football."

Waddle says Mourinho should have produced more entertaining football because of the millions given to him by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

"The majority of teams in the lower leagues play a percentage game," stated Waddle.

"They succeed by being well-organised, playing at a high tempo and getting the ball forward quickly.

"You can understand that because they don't have the resources to buy people like Cristiano Ronaldo. Players of that quality are hard to find.

"For the money and resources Chelsea have had, I think they should entertain more.

"Mourinho can turn round and say 'I've got Arjen Robben, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Salomon Kalou' but he takes them off all the time.

"He doesn't seem to want that type of player. If Robben was playing for Arsenal or Manchester United he would be unbelievable. He would be in the same class as Ronaldo by now.

"He needs a run of 10 games and to be told 'go out and enjoy it'. It's a confidence thing. Under Mourinho, if Robben loses the ball once or twice, he knows he's coming off."

There has been widespread speculation that Mourinho could leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season - largely because the rumours suggest Abramovich wants to see "champagne football" played by his team.

Waddle said: "Abramovich has probably thought everything is going well apart from the entertainment.

"Apart from when they score, he never stands up. I bet he's not on the edge of his seat very often.

"When everyone is raving about Manchester United and Barcelona, he's probably thinking 'why can't we play like that?'

"Even if Manchester United or Arsenal don't win, you know you'll see moments of brilliance that could be worth the entrance fee alone.

"But, saying all that, the fans would be up in arms if Mourinho went because of the number of trophies he has won at Chelsea."
Old 17-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Samster

Alan Smith : I'M BACK FOR GOOD

WHATEVER happens between now and the end of the season, Alan Smith says he has already overcome the biggest challenge of his career by playing again for Manchester United.

Smith has revealed he feared for his United future when Sir Alex Ferguson called him into his office back in January to offer him the chance to go out on loan.

The England striker was worried he would disappear off Fergie's radar completely if he accepted one of these offers and left Old Trafford.

Not many people are brave enough to say no to Ferguson, but the gutsy Smith told the Reds boss he wanted to stay and fight for his place.

And he feels vindicated after making back-to-back starts in the 7-1 rout of Roma and Saturday's 4-1 FA Cup semi-final success over Watford for the first time since breaking his leg 14 months ago.

"It would be nice to get an FA Cup winner's medal, but playing for Manchester United again has always been my first aim," said Smith. "That was what I wanted do to above anything else.

"It was the biggest challenge of my career and I wanted to do as much as I could to guarantee I was staying at this club.

"So when the gaffer called me in and said he'd a list of clubs wanting to take me on loan, I said I wasn't going. It was as simple as that.

"People said it was a chance to play regularly in the Premiership, but I have done that before and I know I can do it. That has never been in question.

"Sometimes in football you have to make brave decisions. At the time, a lot of people questioned it and said you should have gone on loan, you need first-team football. Staying keeps you in the manager's mind, if you're there every day, working hard in training. He's never going to turn to you if you've gone on loan."

Smith, 26, received hate-mail and threats when he made his controversial switch to Old Trafford from Leeds three years ago and after coming through this latest nightmare, he was determined not to give up on his Reds dream. He knows the easy option would have been to see out the rest of the season at Cardiff, Wigan or tonight's opponents Sheffield United's but it's never been in his nature to shy away from conflict.

"This is the biggest club in the world and in difficult times it's easy to run away from problems," he added.

"That's not me and it's games like Watford and last Tuesday against Roma that you want to be involved in. That's why I came to Manchester United and I know that you can't get games like those anywhere else other than the top three clubs."

Smith has shown tremendous strength of character over the last 14 months as he has battled to win back his place and says Ferguson has been a great help. "The biggest thing was the gaffer's belief in me," he said. "Roma was only my second start this year. To put me in against such a side and to have faith that I would do well was everything I'd hoped for.

"He'd seen the work that I'd put in and thankfully it paid off. It's only been two games so I'm not going to get carried away. I have got a fair bit to do to get back to my best. But there's a job to be done in the team and hopefully I am doing well.

"I'm playing up front, my normal role for the team, and doing a job there for the gaffer. I love playing up there. You're always involved. You're pivotal." After emerging from his personal hell, Smith is smiling again and relishing the climax to United's season.

"I'm still a bit short of match sharpness, but I feel good," he said. "I'm playing football with a smile on my face, which was quite difficult for me. I can't take any credit for what the lads have done so far. I just want to play my part now.

All we're thinking about now is Sheffield United. I don't know if it will be an awkward game.It all depends on us and how our attitude is.

"Our focus has been superb all season and we have to maintain that if we're going to finish by winning something."
Old 17-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Samster

Fergie and Glazers happy with progress
Simon Stone
17/4/2007

SIR Alex Ferguson has revealed the Glazer family have not attempted to interfere at any stage with his management of Manchester United.

Malcolm Glazer's £800million takeover of United in 2005 attracted fierce animosity from a section of the Reds support, some of whom subsequently launched rebel club FC United, who have just been promoted to the Unibond League.

Even though Glazer snr has taken a back seat, leaving sons Joel, Avram and Bryan to run the club, life at Old Trafford has largely continued as normal, helped by a massive new television deal and a superb season on the pitch for Ferguson's team.

And the United manager has confirmed his contentment with the current situation.

"The Glazers have been fine since they took over," he told The Scotsman.

"They haven't interfered with anything we do.

"I have had a couple of meetings with them, although (chief executive) David Gill obviously deals with them more regularly.

"Any time I have been with them, they have simply said to let them know if there is anything I need."

Although the Glazers' continued assurance that funds will be made available for major transfers has yet to be tested, they certainly were not found wanting when asked to stump up an incredible £31million to secure Cristiano Ronaldo's future for the next five seasons.

Dealings

This comes at a time when the Glazers' holding company for their dealings with United, Red Football, has just posted a loss of £137.7million.

While the figure would appear to justify those who fought against the takeover, sources close to the Glazer camp have claimed the losses were in line with expectations and would reduce significantly over the coming years.

A high percentage of the loss comes from the goodwill (the difference between the cost of the takeover and the conservative estimate of the club's worth at the time) generated from the deal, which is £522.4million, a sum that will depreciate by £39.2million a year over 15 years.

Interest payments totalling £85.2million were made in the 14 months to June 2006, £27.2million of which came from cash flow.

However, the Glazers are comfortable with the figures and will not be deflected from their aim of giving Ferguson the funds required to compete at the highest level.

"These are simple accounting losses reflecting the leveraged buy-out by the holding company, which is in line with expectations," said a family spokesman.

"The Glazers continue to invest for the long-term, as demonstrated by the contract extension of Cristiano Ronaldo."

Interest

By staving off interest in Ronaldo from Real Madrid and Barcelona, United have confirmed their status as one of Europe's heavyweights, with Ferguson accepting it was a deal that had to be done, no matter what the cost.

"Of course it was costly," said Ferguson.

"But I told our people 'Look, two or three years down the line, we could be playing Real Madrid and thinking to ourselves that we had the best player in the world and let him go'. Nobody would want that."

With the future of most of his current squad now secure, Ferguson is already looking potential signings.

Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves seems certain to complete a move to Old Trafford in the summer, while interest in Southampton's young full-back Gareth Bale could also be renewed.

In addition, it appears inevitable Ferguson will attempt to reinforce his striking options after yet another season of injury problems for Louis Saha, who performed so well at the start of the campaign following the exit of Ruud van Nistelrooy. Blackburn's Morten Gamst Pederesn has also been linked with a move.

"I would hope to add a couple of players in the summer who will improve us," said the Scot.

"We are talking about that now. There won't be sweeping changes, maybe just one or two coming in who would have the talent to make a difference."
Old 17-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 185 / Power: 18
epsilon is a Helpful and Caring Samsterepsilon is a Helpful and Caring Samster

Utd Eye £8m Pedersen
Manchester United are ready to snatch Morten Gamst Pedersen away from Blackburn by triggering an £8million release clause in the Norwegian's Ewood Park contract. Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to land the versatile Pedersen, who has made a big impact in his three years at Ewood Park. And with Fergie already planning for life when Ryan Giggs, 33, calls time on his Old Trafford career, the Scot is ready to make his move for the 25-year-old Pedersen this summer.
Martin Lipton, Daily Mirror

In other transfer news, The Sun say United, Arsenal and Chelsea have all been alerted that Marseille are ready to sell Franck Ribery. Sir Alex Ferguson reportedly sees Ribery as a potential long-term replacement for Ryan Giggs.

Ahead of the Reds' Premiership clash with Sheffield United on Tuesday night Gabriel Heinze says it's crucial that United score an early goal to settle any nerves.

Blades boss Neil Warnock says it will be the "result of the decade" if his side get anything against United.

The Sun claims Sir Alex is ready to throw wonderkid Craig Cathcart into the heart of their Premiership challenge with a first team debut against the Blades.

In other news, The Sun reckons Alan Smith is in line for an England recall for the make-or-break Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia in June.

Meanwhile, Sir Alex has invited Ben Foster to be United’s guest at the FA Cup final. Foster revealed: “United goalkeeping coach Tony Coton said I would be going with them to Wembley as part of their squad."
Old 17-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Samster

Sir Alex eyes signings

Sir Alex Ferguson admits he would like to strengthen his squad with at least two new summer signings.

The Reds' boss says plans are already underway regarding potential targets - one of which is muted to be long term target Owen Hargreaves - and he's hopeful of achieving his aims.

"I would hope to add a couple of players in the summer who will improve us," he said in an interview with The Scotsman.

"We are talking about that now. There won't be sweeping changes, maybe just one or two coming in who would have the talent to make a difference."

Earlier this season chief executive David Gill revealed that the Glazer family would make funds available for future signings. And Sir Alex has nothing but praise for the club owners.

"The Glazers have been fine since they took over," he insisted. "They haven't interfered with anything we do.

"I have had a couple of meetings with them, although David Gill obviously deals with them more regularly. Any time I have been with them, they have simply said to let them know if there is anything I need."
Old 17-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Samster

Wenger tips Ronaldo

Arsene Wenger is tipping Cristiano Ronaldo to win the PFA Players' Player of the Year award.

The Arsenal boss says the Manchester United winger will pip Chelsea's Didier Drogba to the coveted award at Sunday's gala dinner.

"Cristiano Ronaldo and Didier Drogba would be my one and two," Wenger told Arsenal.com.

"You don't expect Ronaldo to score so many goals and he can provide too. But as well I have huge respect for what Drogba has done.

"He has scored in some very big matches, also he has played in nearly all the games. It is very difficult to separate them really."

Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas has been shortlisted alongside Ronaldo for the junior and main award, but Wenger believes the Spain international deserves to win the junior prize.

"Player of the Year has some big candidates and some have done exceptionally well, but I feel Cesc deserves to be in there," Wenger added.

"Certainly he deserves to win the Young Player of the Year award, and at his age, it is a fantastic honour just to be nominated for Player of the Year.

"Of course I support him in that, he is a fantastic player but you have to respect that players from Manchester United, who are top of the League, and Chelsea, who are in all competitions, might have the edge on us."
Old 17-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Samster

Mijatovic won't let Ronaldo lie

Even the news of Cristiano Ronaldo signing a new five-year deal at Manchester United has not convinced Real Madrid to concede defeat in their pursuit of the Portuguese star.

The frontrunner for the PFA Player of the Year award, who has lit up English football with his tremendous performances this season, committed his future to Sir Alex Ferguson on Friday after being constantly linked with a move to Spain.

Ronaldo's very public show of faith in United had appeared to put a lid on talk of a potential summer switch, but Real sporting director Predrag Mijatovic has again raised the spectre of interest from the Bernabeu.

The Real official admits he was not surprised to see Ronaldo pen his new five-year contract, and even though any move for the star would be fiercely resisted Mijatovic is refusing to rule out a sensational coup for Los Merengues.

"We knew that it could happen [Ronaldo's new deal], he is a player with a lot of quality and plays in an important team that is playing very well," Mijatovic told Radio Marca.

"We are going to see what happens in the summer.

"I see it as being very difficult, but it is not necessary to discard anything.

"In soccer today can be one thing and tomorrow another one."

Ronaldo has again been linked with a move to the Bernabeu in the same week that Real captain Raul has been mooted as a possible summer target for Liverpool.

The Spanish international called on the club to clarify his position on Monday, and Mijatovic has obliged by underlining that he sees Raul as an integral part of Real's plans.

"He is our captain and we already know what he has given and what he can give and it must be here."
Old 17-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Samster

Keane: United link 'an insult'

Roy Keane insists that he does not view Sunderland as a stepping-stone in his managerial career.

Having made the transition from soldier fatigues to civvy suits so successfully, Keane has already been touted as a possible successor to Sir Alex Ferguson.

However the former Manchester United midfielder claims he is not hankering after a return to Old Trafford.

Keane believes that would constitute 'an insult' to The Black Cats.

"I don't sit at home at night thinking that one day I want to manage Manchester United," said Keane.

"And it is wrong to suggest I see Sunderland as some sort of stepping-stone. I don't think you can think that way. That would be an insult."
Old 18-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Samster

Great to see another Utd fan contributing in here. Thanks to epsilon.
Old 18-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Samster

United 2 Sheffield United 0
17/ 4/2007

INJURY-RAVAGED Manchester United are limping towards the Premiership title finishing line as a routine home win over Sheffield United was accompanied yet another defensive fitness problem.

Patrice Evra was forced off in the first half following a crude lunge by Colin Kazim-Richards, leaving Sir Alex Ferguson without a single member of his first-choice defence, including keeper Edwin van der Sar.

Yet nothing, it seems, will halt United’s drive for the championship.

After Michael Carrick’s early opener, Wayne Rooney drilled home a brilliant second at the start of the second half.

It takes Rooney’s goal tally for the season to 20, just one adrift of Cristiano Ronaldo - who had a quiet night by his own high standards.

The result leaves Chelsea six points adrift heading into their trip to West Ham, but Ferguson’s most immediate priority now will probably be a squad fitness check rather than worrying about what Jose Mourinho and his team get up to.

In the end, even with possible starters John O’Shea and Rio Ferdinand not included, Ferguson opted against handing 18-year-old Craig Cathcart his debut.

Instead, the United boss trusted the right-back role to Darren Fletcher, hoping the Scot’s extra experience would make up for his complete lack of familiarity with the position.

Rare

With Wes Brown and Gabriel Heinze occupying the central defensive roles and Tomasz Kuszczak handed a rare start in goal due to Van der Sar’s back injury, United were not so much down to the bare bones as the marrow. And the situation got worse after just 20 minutes.

The tackle by Kazim-Richards on Evra did not even warrant a yellow card from Rob Styles, which was a surprise and set the tone for what was a robust opening period in which Rooney appeared to be on a one-man mission to get himself into trouble.

The England striker did eventually get a caution for hauling down Phil Jagielka on his follow-through after just failing to wipe out Michael Tonge.

But given the way he was flying around the pitch seemingly intent on getting stuck in and the positive impact he was to have, half-time came at a good time for the 21-year-old.

The same was also probably true for Kieran Richardson, who had been introduced as Evra’s replacement but whose desire to get forward led to gaps appearing at the back.

As in the FA Cup semi-final with Watford on Saturday when Ferdinand picked up his groin strain, the one saving grace for United was that by the time Evra departed, they were already in front courtesy of Carrick’s fourth goal in six games.

Hardly a renowned scorer when he arrived from Tottenham, the £18.6million midfielder has suddenly hit form.

After Ronaldo had found him with an inspired short pass, Carrick lifted his shot over Kenny to give the hosts a perfect start.

Smashed

Had Rooney not smashed a shot straight at Kenny on United’s next attack, the points would have been wrapped up there and then.

Instead, the hosts were forced to endure a few nervy moments, with Luton Shelton to the fore on his first Premiership start, before Rooney eventually bagged a second four minutes after the break.

Two Champions League goals and a couple against Watford had already indicated Rooney is not suffering the kind of form crisis some have suggested.

His latest finish, one touch to control Ryan Giggs’ chipped pass and a second to blast the ball into the corner, merely emphasised the point.

While the visitors were sprightly foes, they were repeatedly indebted to Kenny for keeping the score down.

For a big man, Kenny showed admirable agility to get down to his near post and deny Ronaldo, then needed all his strength to remain standing as Alan Smith slammed a shot into his chest.

Another save from Giggs followed, although by then, Styles had made his most important non-decision, somehow failing to spot Heinze getting nowhere near the ball as he chopped down a goalbound Shelton.

If the penalty award had come, Heinze would surely have been sent off too, bringing with it an automatic three-match ban that would have ruled him out of key trips to Everton and Manchester City.

Given the defensive crisis unfolding in front of his eyes, Ferguson’s men might have struggled to cope. As it was, they escaped on all counts.

Cloudflare 1.1.1.1